Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Deep Thoughts

Feeling unmotivated to work this morning, I decided to catch up on a few blogs. Including a more recent discovery, the eloquent words of Emily Jane.

Holy inspiration, Batman.

In reading two of her most recent posts, I realized that I'm not pushing my own boundaries enough.

Even though I've made important changes in the past six months, taken steps towards self-improvement, and made my 31st birthday resolution to have more confidence, I haven't been testing myself. There hasn't been any need to leave my comfort zone. Sure, work has presented me with some interesting challenges -- but other than that, I think know that I'm in a bit of a holding pattern.

Granted, I've already survived the "Quarter Life Crisis" that a few of my fellow bloggers have been writing about lately. That time in my life resulted in my changing jobs twice, going to graduate school, moving out of my parents house, and ending a five year relationship. This is all to say that I've already been through a significant period of wondering "what the hell am I doing with my life?" and then making changes to answer that question.

But now what? I'm in a good place in my life, in many ways: I live on my own, I have my Masters degree (and have no interest in any more grad school, thankyouveddymuch), I have no desire to leave my beloved DC, and I love my job.

So what, then, would challenge my status quo?  I'm not really sure what needs to be challenged in my life -- but it's increasingly clear that something needs to change.
blog comments powered by Disqus