Friday, July 2, 2010

Social Media Day 2010

My friend Liz wrote an excellent of the Social Media Day Happy Hour that we attended at the Science Club two nights ago.  It's so good that, rather than try to describe it myself, I'm going to steal from quote her:
Those of us who engage in social media tend to err ever so slightly on the side of egotism.  (I’m no exception. I think I’m awesome.) [Editors Note - I think she's awesome, too!]  We like the sound of our own voice so much that we are convinced other people must and will hear it.  We have shit to say.  We’ll divulge flaws, emote publicly, and poke fun at ourselves.  Sometimes in a long, meandering blog post, and other times in only 140 characters or less.
Bloggers/Tweeps/Whatevers are such a rowdy ever-expanding bunch, it was only a matter of time before people came along who tried to manage, label, and dissect what social media is and what makes those of us involved tick.
But when you sift through all the fluffy jargon and “Twitter optimization”-speak, social media is about exchanging ideas and having your voice heard. I got to talk with people who, without tools like Twitter and blogging, I would have never met.
It was a hilariously amazing, awe inspiring, idea sharing, beer spilling, Jameson swilling evening.
I really and truly could not have said it better myself.  Plenty of people have said "there's no need for Social Media Day -- really, isn't every that every day?"

Well, yes, to a certain extent. The wide, wonderful world of social media keeps churning out news and nonsense, regardless of the day. Or hour. And everyone who comments on a blog, refreshes their Twitter feed, updates their Facebook status, or what have you, is a part of it. But, as Liz said, Social Media Day gave us all a chance to meet face-to-face.

blog comments powered by Disqus