Thursday, October 9, 2008

working hard for the ... uh, cause

This evening marks the end of Yom Kippur, and thus the New Year has truly begun.

If I still belonged to a temple, perhaps I wouldn't have gone to work today; perhaps I would have fasted and truly atoned for the wrongs I have committed in this past year. But I haven't been back to the temple where my sister and I were both bat mitzvah'd for at least 10 years, nor have I felt compelled to join a synagoguge on my own. I often describe myself as a "Bad Jew" and say that the only thing Jewish about me these days is my affinity for Tiffany's -- but today, there were a few moments during which I silently apologized for the wrongs I have committed during the past year, and for anyone I have hurt.

But really, today was like any other day. I hit snooze too many times this morning and had to rush getting ready. While commuting to work, I marveled at both the slowly-changing foliage and the fact that my fellow Washingtonians really do seem to lack any sense of style. And I spent the day working diligently, in the national headquarters of a non-profit organization.
(Note: As I am just starting out in the blogging world, I'm not sure how "anonymous" this will be. I expect that the majority of my readers will be people who know me, but I'd rather err on the side of caution... for now, and in this arena, at least.) It was a busy day, but those are the best -- when I don't have time to do anything but try to make a difference in people's lives.

That may sound too corny to be true, but knowing that my work changes lives keeps me going to work every day. Plus, I have fantastic, hysterical, caring and incredibly dedicated coworkers. I can tell you that it's not the money, that's for damn sure. I truly love my job, and consider myself fortunate to be able to say that.
blog comments powered by Disqus