Friday, January 29, 2010

Just Another Week In Paradise

Last Saturday night, I got a voicemail from my "friend" who I spent New Year's Eve with - you know, the one who brought a stranger back to my place at 5AM. Her message was: "Hi Jess... listen, I'm sorry that, um, you're mad at me."

Of course she's sorry that I'm mad at her - I bet it really fucking sucks that I'm mad at her! She can't get away from her parents, get drunk and crash at my place anymore.

That was not an apology.

Sunday, I went out to dinner with my parents. There was an issue with my mother's meal; a manager came to talk with her and ended up speaking to my mom as if she were a whiny brat, rather than a respectable, regular customer whose ahi tuna had been undercooked.

Let me say here that I have absolutely no tolerance for anyone who mistreats my family. I've written before that I'm a good friend to the point of being a doormat; by contrast, I am fiercely defensive and extremely protective of my parents and sister.  So, I was furious.  I could barely contain myself during their "conversation".

To make a long story short, I went and talked to that manager after our meal. I ended up tearing her a new one, telling her how "inappropriate, rude and utterly unprofessional" she had behaved. I told her she should be ashamed of herself for treating her customers with such disrespect. I watched her staff gather off to the side during this exchange. I don't know if they were watching in pity or awe. But I think may have made her cry.

.... I think I've had some tension and frustration building up in me for a while.

I also joined a gym on Sunday (FINALLY!), so on Monday, I went to exercise after work. For someone who hasn't exercised in months, spending 30 minutes on a combination of the treadmill and elliptical felt exhilarating.... Until I got home. My shins were on fire. My shoulders hurt (how did I hurt my shoulder? I wasn't even using the arm exercisers on the elliptical!) I told a friend that I felt like I'd crippled myself. It's Friday and I still feel sore. I think I'm going to take it easier next time.

Overall, this week has been ridiculously busy -- and, as I've said before, I've loved it. I'm starting to think I might be a workaholic (along with a shopaholic and chocoholic). But I'm glad it's Friday.

I'm also going to share with you my OOTD (that's Outfit Of The Day, kids) because I successfully used a new technique: Putting my camera on the bookshelf and using the timer! And I like the lighting. However, I was caught mid-smirk, so I look a little.... well, you can see for yourself:

blog comments powered by Disqus