Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"downsizing", "departmental rearranging"...

... in other words, watching coworkers lose their jobs.

Let me note that I have not lost my job (knock wood) and I am incredibly grateful for that, as well as the fact that my department was not touched by this recent turn of events. But as of noon today, a dozen people were let go from our organization -- four were from my office, the rest from our New York branch. And as this is a very close-knit operation, I am saddened by these changes, and I know I am not the only one.

I looked up from my computer a moment ago to see our impeccably made-up CEO stride by my cubicle, a waft of her signature (heavy, floral) scent following in her wake. I greeted her by name and with a smile; she nodded and gave me a little wave. I wonder if she feels anything about what has happened, or if she simply accepts that these things must happen in an organization, particularly at a time when there is an economic downturn, and moves on...

It's been a long week already.
blog comments powered by Disqus